3.30.2010

dr pepper cake



i needed cake. cookies. pastry. no, not pastry, i needed something quick, easy, and sickeningly sweet. so i found this dr. pepper cake.

but in our house, it was "dr w" cake - since we have wegmans dr w instead of dr pepper.

but i made some modifications -

the sugar seems like a lot - a full two cups, in addition to a full can of soda. so i reduced it to 1 1/4 cups. it was still pretty sweet.

and i only made a half batch of glaze. for the same reason - i didn't want it to be so sickeningly sweet i couldn't take it. and a half batch was perfect.



the cake is good, even though it was a bit more dense like a brownie, but the dr pepper taste wasn't very strong. you can taste it, at the end of a bite, as long as you know it's there and you're looking for it. so sometime i'm going to try concentrating the dr pep flavor by boiling it off a bit first. we'll see how that goes.

dr pepper chocolate cake
from she wears many hats

for the cake:
1 1/2 cup Dr. Pepper soda
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
  1. preheat oven to 350F and grease a 13x9 baking pan.
  2. combine the dr pepper, oil, butter, and cocoa powder in a saucepan over medium heat. bring to a simmer, mix well, and remove from heat.
  3. add sugar, flour, and baking soda to the pan and mix well.
  4. in a separate bowl, beat the eggs and buttermilk together. add a small amount of the hot batter to the egg mixture (a couple tablespoons) and mix well. then add the egg mixture to the batter and mix well.
  5. pour into greased pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. while the cake is cooling, make the glaze.
for the glaze:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
  1. combine the butter, cocoa powder, and milk together in a saucepan over medium heat.
  2. when the butter is melted and the mixture is combined, whisk in the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth.
  3. pour over the warm cake.
2015.03.02 this was daily dish recipes' pick for the secret recipe club!

23 comments:

  1. I love Wegmans! You just won brownie points from me... No pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Roc so my love for Wegmans is undying. I recently moved to NYC and its horribly depressing...nothing compares.

    Ps recipe looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really looks fantastic. I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the recipe from the Dinosaur Barbeque Cookbook for the cake the following for the icing:
    1/4 cup soft butter
    3 tblsp cocoa
    1/4 cup Dr Pepper
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2.5-3 cups conf. sugar
    Just mix all together in your mixer (how hard is that!)
    I made this for our Admin. Assistant's Birthday and it was a HUGE hit.
    Next will be a "double the recipe" cake for a graduation party.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! This is so getting bookmarked!!!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the glaze for this recipe and will definitely use it again in the future BUT the "cake" itself was more like a fudgy brownie. I was expecting it to be a little more cakey from looking at the pictures BUT you did say that it was really more dense than cakey-- you were right. Nonetheless, my husband did like it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly how mines came out. It wasn't like a cake at all. Which the picture looks like. The glaze was perfect and I agree will use it again. But I didnt care for the cake and wont make it again. Nor did it taste like Dr.Pepper.

      Delete
  7. OH MAN I just drank the last of the Dr. Pepper (with real cane sugar!) but I have orange soda...? Bahahah! Doubt that would work though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny! I found your blog via Pinterest. Your photo of your "Dr. Pepper Cake" caught my eye - because I *just* posted a recipe for Dr. Pepper Blackberry pie on my blog! Love knowing there are other Dr. Pepper bakers - Ha! Check it out: http://lepetithibou.blogspot.com/2011/08/dr-pepper-blackberry-pie-or-farmer-made.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a soda stream. I wonder if playing with the concentrate would give it more of the "Pepper" flavor.

      Delete
  9. I just made a 9x9 sized portion of this recipe, and it smells amazing! I cannot wait to cut into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wonder if you can use a chocolate cake mix instead of making one from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmm i bet you could use a cake mix and substitute dr pepper for the water that's usually called for in a mix. let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can take a box of any cake mix and mix a can of soda (any soda) and make a cake or cupcakes. The soda replaces the other ingredients you add with a cake mix. I mainly use Sprite (my son has an egg allergy) for our cakes but I have tried other mixes.

      Cherry Dr Pepper with white cake mix is AWESOME!

      Delete
    2. Is the soda all you add to the mix to make the cake. My grandson loves DR Pepper and he could make it himself! Do you bake it at the same temp for the same amt of time?

      Delete
  12. Can you recommend a substitute for buttermilk? I think I have everything else but buttermilk is not something we keep here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To substitute buttermilk, add 1.5 teaspoons white vinegar to a half cup of milk. Stir & let sou for a few minutes before using.

    Buttermilk also freezes well. Whenever I buy it, I use what I need and freeze the rest in half cup paper cups. I usually use out within a month & haven't had any problems with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you have to use unsalted butter? I only have salted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. while i haven't made the cake with salted butter, i don't see why you couldn't. it may have more of a salty sweet taste, rather than super sweet - which actually might be better!

      Delete
  15. Can this recipe be made without eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've never made the cake without eggs. you could try replacing them with 1/2 cup applesauce + 1 teaspoon baking powder. according to google, this works, but be sure to grease your pan really well as the cake is more likely to stick.

      Delete
  16. Saw this on Pinterest. My husband is addicted to Dr. Pepper so I want to try this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...